Are you a child


Who is the Advocate Office?

We are different from other helpers – we do not work for social services, the schools or the justice system, we work for YOU!

You deserve the best possible experience with the government services you receive.  We can help you express your views and preferences, and if you need us to, we will speak on your behalf.  

We are here to ensure that your voice is taken seriously.


What can the Advocate Office do for me? 

Listen to your voice and take your concerns seriously;

Treat you and your privacy with respect;

Believe that your input into decisions about you is necessary;

Help you with questions or problems you may have about government services - we may be able to help with many school issues, children in care questions or problems you have dealing with the justice system.


I have rights?

Did you know that YOU have the right to be SAFE, HEALTHY, EDUCATED and HEARD?  

When you use government services, government workers are responsible to consider the needs and concerns of all the people they serve.

That means your rights MUST be considered.

If you are wondering about your rights or you are having difficulty getting your voice heard, we may be able to help you.

Some examples of government services that we can help you with are school, child protection, foster care, adoption, guardianship, disabilities, mental health, addiction services and youth justice. 


What happens if I call the Advocate Office?

We need to know a few details to better assist you:

  • Your name, address, phone number and date of birth
  • What your problem, issue or question is
  • The type of help you need
  • The other people involved
  • What have you done so far to try to help yourself
  • How do you want us to help 

It is your RIGHT to speak to us in private.

From there, depending on your situation, we may:

  • Give you helpful information
  • Call someone for you and explain your problem
  • Meet with you and those involved and try to resolve the problem

All your information is confidential.  No one needs to know that you called us unless there are reports of physical, sexual or emotional abuse. In those situations we also have the responsibility to help.


Young People Have A Voice!

Yukon Child & Youth
Advocate Office
2070 2nd Avenue, Unit 19
Whitehorse, YT, Y1A 1B1
Phone: (867) 456-5575
Fax: (867) 456-5574
Our toll free number:
ask for the Yukon Child Advocate.

Find us on Facebook!